Thursday, March 11, 2010

Then there was one...



 As of yesterday, the two Coreys are no more - there is only one. Unfortunately, one half the popular duo, Corey Haim died of a drug overdose at the age of 38.

I'll admit - Haim was the least favorite of the Coreys, with Feldman being the runaway winner. Feldman, definitely had the better resume, The Goonies, Stand By Me, and his part in The Burbs. However, the Corey combination was a thing teenage girls' dreams were made of, and I'll admit it now - I was pretty jealous.

When you're 12 years old, you have to be a little intimidated by films like License To Drive. I wanted to be cute and funny, you know, score all the hot babes. However, I burned my cute candle out at age five before hitting a string of awkward years. I had buck teeth, poor posture, a mullet, a rat tale, and I haven't had a tan since the age of 9. But don't worry about me. I'm doing alright. Eatin' my Wheaties, drinking milk, and taking my vitamins.






Back to the Coreys.

Both Haim and Feldman didn't really make the transition from child to adult actor, in fact, it wasn't until A&E ran their reality show 'The Two Coreys' several years ago that I really thought about either for about 15 years. Well, more so Corey Haim.

If you didn't see the show, then that's probably a good thing. It was really just sad. Feldman had seemed to find some peace and balance to his life, while Haim had not faired as well. I couldn't bring myself to watch more than 2 or 3 episodes, but it was definitely a foreshadowing of the recent tragedy.

One of the most important things I've learned through the years is that perception and reality are two different things. Not sure how or if that even applies here. I just thought that's a good thing to say.

So, farewell Corey Haim. I'm sorry that you couldn't find peace and happiness in this life. Life is pretty hard sometimes. This song isn't about you, but yet I find it somewhat fitting. Well, except for the parts that are directly about Princess Diana.

No comments: