Thursday, March 18, 2010

I reckon' I'll be undertaking the situation.

So last night, I decided I was tired of the Lost being Lost thing. I mean, honestly - I cannot sit through one more slow-mo music montage of people hugging, being reunited, then not, then reunited. There's side time lines, past time lines, present time lines, oblong time lines, real Locke, smoke monster Locke. I need to re-read it, but there is some sort of 'Emperor's New Clothes' thing happening, and it's just not that great. Sorry, but it's not.

All that to say that I gave my TV time to FX last night and checked out their new show 'Justified'. I'm a huge Elmore Leonard, Timothy Olyphant, and Walton Goggins fan, so I had high expectations. Very high expectations. Now that we have one hour in the bag, I can say that I'm intrigued, not sold - but intrigued.




If you're unfamiliar with Olyphant and/or Goggins, let me just say that the casting is perfect. Olyphant is great a playing the hero with a mean streak, and Goggins is hands down the best when it comes to playing the crazy, creepy, hillbilly. It's safe to say that 'Deadwood' fans are happy to have Olyphant back on the screen playing a modern day Seth Bullock, especially after the premature end to the series. My wife would be one of those people.




Now, If the name Shane Vendrell, or Claude Van Damne doesn't mean anything to you, then I suggest that you hurry to your netflix queue and order up The Shield, and make sure it's here in time for the weekend. The Shield was the network's flagship series, and has no doubt set the standard for all FX shows that follow. Also, for more of Goggin's work I suggest getting every film Ray McKinnon has directed, in particular 'The Accountant' and 'Randy and the Mob', and 'Chrystal'.






As far as Mr. Leonard, the author - two words, 'Get Shorty'. 'The Cadillac of mini-vans.'



Even with all that going for it, I have to say the premiere was a tad underwhelming. I guess they do have to pace these things, eh? It wasn't bad by any means, and I imagine by the halfway point of the season I'll be hooked. With Battlestar Galactica gone, Lost sucking, and the time running out on 24, I definitely need a new show to dig into and this may be it.

No comments: