Monday, August 31, 2009

You complete me...

Over the past few years, several great shows have made their mark on television. I'm not just talking premium cable, either. Even better, the DVD/Netflix combination has made it possible to bring these shows home. So, now you don't always have to watch in real time or syndication. Instead, you can watch a season a week and even an entire series in a month.

As Fall approaches and the days get shorter, here are some shows to keep you comfy and reality free in the evening. Even better, these are completed series, so resolution awaits you.

Alias -












Okay, so I was a long time hold out of this show. What little screen time I'd seen of Jennifer Garner, in particular '13 Going On 30', had left me wondering what all the hub bub was about.

It wasn't until I saw the JJ Abram's Mission Impossible 3, along with a recommendation from a friend, that I decided to give it a shot.

Take whatever reservations you may have and toss them aside. If you like the storytelling of Lost, then you'll definitely appreciate it's predecessor. Honestly, even though Lost has yet to run it's course, I believe that Alias is the better show. Suspenseful, action packed, dramatic, and at times humorous, you'll find it hard not to watch 3-4 episodes per night.

I implore you, give Jennifer a chance kick her way into your heart. The show will grab you in the opening scene, promise.

The Shield -












FX's breakthrough drama ended it's run last Fall, but I'm still haunted he series finale. It's like, someone ran my emotions through a juicer.

I've already blogged about this show in the past, so I'll keep it short. The last five minutes of the pilot episode sets the stage for the rest of the series. It sets the timer, and then winds down to the series finale where it all finally explodes.

Pulling for a bad guy has never been so much fun.



Battl
estar Galactica -












The name alone isolates an audience. Then, for those who are old enough, there's the image Dirk Benedict and Lorne Greene fighting those clunky ass Cylons. Cheese whiz in space.

Well, fuck all that. Start with the mini-series and settle in to the one of the best shows ever written.

For more info, see the 'Trying to get regular' post.




The Wire -











Brilliant. I mean, I'd heard so many great things about this show, that I was determined to find fault. Sure, there are some things I didn't like about the story, but that was the story. You are an observer, and these characters aren't there for your entertainment.

It did take me awhile to get fully involved in the show. It was a slow burn, but once you're hooked, you'll be glad that you stuck around.


24 -













Well, technically this show has not ended, but most 24 fans will tell you that it's long been over. Personally, I think the end of season 4 should be the stopping point for newbies.

Let's face it though. How many times can you make the real time scenario work? How much shock and awe can you deliver before it becomes predictable or just ridiculous? The show is a victim of it's own success, and in turn has become a parody of itself.

However, the first 4 seasons maybe some of the best 96 hours in television history. After that, just walk away.

No comments: