Friday, August 28, 2009

Vick-tory?

It's been over two years since Michael Vick took his last NFL snap. That is, until last night.



As a football fan, Madden player, and dog lover, I was devastated when the news broke that Michael Vick was involved in a dog fighting ring. Even more disgusted to find out the he himself participated in the (deep breath), killing of dogs. Okay let's stop there.

There was no player in the NFL as electrifying as Michael Vick. Often criticized for his inaccuracy and poor decisions, he was not considered a 'conventional' NFL quarterback. Regardless, I thought he threw some of the prettiest passes in the league, even if they did go to the wrong spot. No, Vick's strength were his legs. Something that kept the opposing defensive coordinators up at night. Oh yeah, and I definitely kicked some serious ass on Madden (as Vick), lighting up chumps and scoring into the hundreds.

(Sigh) So, I have to admit - it was good to see him on the field last night.

Not that my feeling comes without conflict. I am lover of dogs. I love spending time with them, training them. I also have a special affection for working with abused dogs, and have a love for pit bulls. Two of my neighbors have adopted pit bulls, both of which were abandoned in a nearby park probably because they wouldn't fight. Both had evidence of abuse. I also have a hound/pit bull mix that was abused and still has a BB in his chest from when he was a puppy. It breaks my heart. You can see the long term affects of the abuse in his mannerisms, although he's come a long way. Needless to say, the details of the Vick case sicken and anger me.

That brings us to the here and now. There are those that think Vick should never play football again, while others feel that he deserves a second chance. Where do I come out? Well, when the story first broke in '06 I would have said, 'hell no, hell fucking no'. That being said, although I'm still unable to reconcile his actions, I do believe he belongs back in football and in the NFL. Two years in jail and bankrupt, he's payed his price and he's starting over.

The NFL is Michael Vick's best chance for redemption and the most effective way to give back to society. It helps that Vick has folks like Coach Crocodile Dun-gee in his corner, and from all we can see thus far he seems remorseful. I don't want to make excuses for Vick, but you have to take into consideration how his past has affected him. Honestly, I don't know much about his childhood. However, both he and his brother Marcus have had run ins with the law, which leads me to believe that bad influences were in play. Again, I speak in ignorance and can only speculate.

All I can say now, is welcome back Michael. The NFL is a better place with you there. Now, honor this second chance, and honor the fans and supporters by not fucking up. Oh yeah, Madden is better with you too.

1 comment:

AAQ said...

You know, I really do pity the guy. I hope he turns it around because it'd be a great story, but we'll just have to wait and see.