Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Trying to get regular, with my blogging of course













So, just a few months after the end of Ronald Moore's re-imagined Battlestar Galactica, those money grubbing bastards at Universal Pictures are fast-tracking yet another, BSG movie for the theaters.

It looks as if they've signed on Bryan Singer to direct the new, um, newer, excuse me, newest version of this space opera. I can almost see a Les Grossman-esque (Tom Cruise in Tropic Thunder), movie mogul, slapping that ass while talking about the G-5. Yes, the airplane.

As a kid, the original series was a favorite of mine. As I look back though, it was more like 'Star Wars' for your television, at a time with home video had yet to hit. I had BSG toys, hell, I had BSG birthday parties. Needless to say, when Sci-Fi Network announced that they were releasing an updated Battlestar Galactica mini-series in the December of 2003, I couldn't wait. I mean holy shit, Starbuck's a girl and Adama is Lt. Castillo from Miami Vice? It's fucking brilliant.










While I expected an update to the classic, what I got instead was an amazing drama with depth and layers that you rarely find in television. Ronald Moore's version of Battlestar Galactica was more social commentary then swash-buckling space adventure. Politics, religion, terrorism, and segregation, as well as some pretty cool space shit. Not gonna lie.

I won't go on about the greatness of Moore's BSG, only suggest that you Netflix that moe foe if you haven't yet seen it.

So that brings me back the point, if there is one. I'm really disappointed by the news of yet another remake. At only 34, I've lived long enough to see 3rd generation remakes. Sad. Remake Star Wars motherfucker, and let the goodness be. Better yet, go see District 9 and get inspired to make something different.

Or, you can always develop a Thundercats movie.

1 comment:

AAQ said...

Starting strong with a poop joke in the title. Nice.