Saturday, November 6, 2010

I know you are, but what am I?

It's Friday night, and I'm volleying between playing DJ Hero** and watching Bill Cosby 'Himself', the 1983 stand-up routine from one of comedy's masters. It's amazing that I thought this was funny when I was a kid, b/c I really didn't understand a lot of the humor. But, Bill did 'Picture Pages', 'Fat Albert', and the 'Cosby Show', so naturally - just seeing Bill Cosby was funny to me.

(**fyi - I'm a DJ Hero bad-ass)


I've neglected my blog for awhile now, often posting some videos instead of actually challenging myself to write. As you can tell from the title of the blog, it's not a place where seriousness takes a front seat. If I'm not writing about Fred Dryer, or pretending to write for The Onion - then I'm not sure what to write about sometimes. (By the way, according to Google Analytics, the blog about Charlie Daniels is the most popular of all time.)

I live inside my head, and although it's strange place up there, it's where I'm most comfortable. Sometimes I think I need to just bust out, like that blow up ramp on an airplane that they deploy in an emergency landing. I imagine myself sliding down to join the real world, and freeing myself from the little tin tube with wings that is my brain. 

I try too hard, and if I'm going to write more often, then maybe I should be more open from time to time about what I'm thinking. Quirky or not.

That said, here we go…

Dropped my iphone yesterday. It was sorta like a word problem for advanced high school students. The formula for complete destruction of an iphone is, the velocity (x) divided by the distance (y) is then multiplied by the constant (blah, blah, blah). I suck at math, by the way. Nevertheless, it was ugly.  Really ugly. 


It's weird what things trigger certain memories. Tonight, I'm thinking about my dad. More specifically, the time he bought a new Volkswagon, only to back it into the riding lawnmower the next morning. Pretty funny actually.

For those that don't know, my dad passed away when I was 12 years old. Just months after the above incident. Also, if you don't know. That's been 22 years ago.

Over the past few years, I've had several friends lose their fathers. Such a terrible loss that I can't even imagine. Even though I lost my dad to cancer, I don't feel that I relate at all. Losing a parent at a young age is devastating, but I think it effects you in a different way then losing one later in life. 

I don't think about my dad very often, although it's fascinating how the loss constantly lives under the surface. Even more fascinating, is when it chooses to reveal itself. In truth, I can write several blogs about this, maybe even a book. Okay, okay - definitely a lengthy essay. But, I'll keep this short.

Just so happened, that dropping my phone and having it shatter to pieces reminded me of the time the old man crashed our new car within 12 hours of buying it. That got me thinking… too bad I didn't know him. It just maybe, that what some people call 'Brad stories', are really just a result of genetics - passed down from father to son. I can't help but wonder what else we have in common?

I compare it to how the Stormtrooper in Star Wars bumped his head on a doorway, so in Episode II you saw their 'dad, Jango Fett, bump his head on the Slave I. Okay, geek tangent. 


If my dad were here, I imagine he'd tell you about the time he bought a little boat for our pond so that he could fish, not realizing that it had a hole in it. Not until he was in the middle of the pond and sank that is. As for me, well - I'd probably counter that by talking about the time I crashed a mini-bike into an above ground swimming pool, thus flooding my neighbors yard. 

Yes, that happened...




2 comments:

Matt said...

I remember your dad better than I do my grandfather, but that's really not saying much. I do wonder what our relationships with both of them would be like if they were still around today. I know we'd probably disagree on a lot of things (politics for one), but I think they were both hellraisers in their day. I can't help but think they would have understood the music biz decisions we made better than most of our family.

I bet I'd be a good fly fisherman too.

Unknown said...

Supposedly, they made it from Eden to Oxford in 45 minutes one time. That's sorta crazy.