Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The house that Jack built.


So, the house has finally been painted. However, it didn't happen without controversy.

Deciding on colors can be overwhelming, especially if you want something unique. I knew that I wanted something that looked clean and modern, something that stood out, without being too flashy. Brighter colors can be risky, and our paint guy, who was excellent by the way, steered me clear of the brightness. However, I didn't want neutral colors, I needed something a little more bold.

We did lots of driving around trying to find houses that we liked. Finally, we settled on about three houses that we liked. I wasn't sure when we had to decide, but I figured I'd just take our guy around and show him the houses and let him go to work.

The one thing I didn't anticipate, is that they'd come for our decision at 7 am on a morning after, well, a get together with a plethora of spirits. At that point, I was left alone in what Jack Bauer would call a 'flank 2 position'. As the paint ninja put some colors on the house, I thought, yeah - I should take him to those houses, but I couldn't.

No coffee to help, no time for food. Just me and the painters and one decision to make. A big one.

Let me just say this. I told everyone that we'd decided on a 'dark, charcoal gray'. So, when I walked out to see the first painted side of the house, I was taken back with the brown-ness of it all. Compounded with that, one the crew looked at me and said, 'is this really the color you want to paint it?'. I nodded, and he just replied 'oookaay'. As the paint started to dry, it did start to look better, and it did look more like what I pictured it looking like… somewhat.

What I didn't anticipate is that my neighbors actually expressed concerns to paint ninja (Oscar) that these weren't good colors.

I guess it's just me, but I don't give a fuck what color my neighbors paint their house.  I don't know who the culprits were, but honestly, I do live on an awesome street. So, I forgive you.

Once the porch was painted, well, it all came together, just as I planned. Drum roll please…


2 comments:

here comes moses said...

I LOVE the colors!! Seriously. I think it looks killer, Brad!

Unknown said...

Aw- thanks, JB. I really appreciate it!