Tuesday, December 29, 2009

I play real sports (my favorite things of 2009)

As the year comes to an end, I figured I'd take a moment to list some of my favorite things that came along this past year.

HBO started the year off with a bang by introducing us to Kenny Powers in their new comedy series, Eastbound and Down. If you haven't seen or heard of this yet, then you probably aren't the type of person that would enjoy it. For those of us who do, its given us enough one liners to last till at least 2015.



While one series began, another one came to an end. Battlestar Galactica gave us four amazing seasons and a new standard by which all other sci-fi shows will be measured. While the finale left some questions still unanswered, it wasn't enough diminish the series in anyway. In fact, it gave me with a sense of peace about the series, as well as lingering and intriguing thoughts.



As the crew of the Battlestar Galactica finally reached earth, the crew of the USS Enterprise set out once again, for the first time, to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life; new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before!

Let's be honest, it's hard to find fault with JJ Abrams reboot of the Star Trek franchise. While it was great in the theater, it should be noted that the Blu-Ray is pretty incredible.



The next item on the list is also a blast from the past. Ghostbuster's The Video Game finally gave us something that all children of the 80's wanted, a proton pack. It also gave us another story line that served as a sequel to the disappointing Ghostbuster's II. I can't lie, busting makes me feel good.



TV, movies, video games - do I have time for anything else? Well, for the past several months any spare moment has been spent listening to the sounds of the lovely Jill Andrews and her debut EP. Formally of the group the everybodyfields, Jill has proven that her former band was just the first step in her musical journey. Jill's heart and soul is the main instrument on this record, and unless you're a asshole I promise you'll love it.



Speaking of assholes, that brings me to my favorite new anti-hero, Dexter Morgan. Okay, hero is a definite overstatement, but he's definitely my favorite serial killer. 2009 brought the fourth, and perhaps most amazing season of Showtime's original series. This year Dexter matched wits with the great and creepy John Lithgow. I smell an Emmy…



Last, but certainly not least, Activision's spin-off of Guitar Hero, DJ Hero has pretty much changed my life. As I sprung into my teenage years, I became obsessed with what's now considered 'old school' hip- hop. I so badly wanted to work the 'wheels of steel', that I went through a couple of needles on mom's record player.

When the lights go down and the record starts to spin - well, there's no greater high.



Coming soon, my favorite things of the decade!

No comments: