Sunday, December 20, 2009

Coffee 'Houses Of The Holy'

Hmm… where to start? I saw Robert Plant last week.

Location: Bongo Java East - East Nashville, TN.













Over the past 10 years in Nashville, I've gotten fairly use to seeing celebrities. Mostly musicians, except for the Reese Witherspoon/Ryan Phillipe sighting many moons ago at the Green Hills Blockbuster. However, when the iconic Robert Plant made his way into my local neighborhood coffee shop, I crapped my pants.

Like most folks, I discovered Led Zeppelin during my teenage years. However, for me, this was the early 90's, and the Internet age had not yet come about. Isn't it strange to think about a time without Internet? Looking back, it's hard for me to imagine. This brings up a longer discussion about the music industry and how it's changed over the years, but maybe just ask me about that in person sometime, or not.

Basically, in those days, artists were not accessible - not to mention artists that were already considered classic at the time. All we had were their often unique album art, a few photos, and maybe a retro t-shirt. If you were lucky, you could track down some sort of concert video. In the case of Led Zeppelin, you did have 'The Song Remains The Same', which is basically a movie/concert video.












Artists were mysterious, larger than life - almost mythic. Their music became the soundtracks of our lives, and open to our own interpretations.

To see this icon of rock music, just walk in and grab some coffee. Well, it was just a little too much for me to process.

No comments: