Sunday, June 26, 2011

Activate dynothrusters...

If you haven't seen the story about the Southwest pilot unknowingly jibber jabbing over the air traffic control channel, then just watch the video below.

(warning - heed the warning)


Okay, so now we're all caught up.

As a 36 year-old fellow, I'm a realist and a pessimist. In other words, nothing much shocks me - hell, I work in the music industry, it's has more villainy and scum than the Mos Eisley Cantina. Yet, this video, it shocked me. Just when I though all naivety was gone, this caught me off guard.

I don't mind flying. In fact, I rather enjoy it. There have been times it freaked me out, but as I get older the less anxious I've become. And, there's always drugs.

I've always thought of pilots being distinguished, a little better than me. Sure, they have their flaws, but you're surely supposed to be focused in the cockpit - doing smart stuff. You know, math and shit. Much like how I imagine a surgeon. A superior mind with physical reflexes and precision, doing the job that I can't do.

I'm not sure what freaked me out more, to hear the pilot talking like this, or the simple fact that his dumbass hit the wrong switch. He cluelessly babbles away, while cutting off communication between air traffic control and the other aircraft flying around trying to land.

They can't all be Good Ole Capt'n Sully, Hero of the Hudson, right? But, they could at least be a little better than Hollywood and Wolfman from Top Gun.



In other Southwest related news, if you fly with them this month, be sure to read the Spirit Magazine. One of my artists, The Apache Relay are featured as one of the forty up and coming artists.

No comments: