Sunday, December 5, 2010

Grab some popcorn...

Let me just say, I love You Tube - especially for music.  Don't get me wrong, I love to watch people pull g-forces, eat peppers, and punch each other in the face. I watch those things a lot. I also love 'fail' videos.

But, back to music. How awesome is it that I can watch live performances from the 50's and 60's. Buck Owens, The Doors, rare Steely Dan - it's all a search and click away, and it's pretty amazing. Such a great way to connect with artists and their music.

That said, I thought I'd post a few videos I've been digging lately. I could try and make this a weekly segment, but I would just fail miserably. I will however try to to do this from time to time.

I've been enjoying Yeasayer's Odd World album since catching them at Next Big Nashville a few months back. I recently came across this video for 'Madder Red' on another blog. Seeing it's my favorite track on the record, and the video has Kristin Bell in it - well, I can't believe I've missed it.

I still love the song, but this video sorta messed me up. Kinda like that MIG did 'Cougar' in the opening scene in Top Gun. How can something be so odd and yet make me cry. (Whew) Dammit, man. You've been warned.



Mark Knopfler is kinda like Sex Panther to me (Ron Burgundy reference). Sixty percent of the time, it works every time. The stuff of his I love, I really love. Both with Dire Straights and as a solo artist. I had the pleasure of seeing him at the Ryman years ago, and it was one of the best shows I've ever been to.

His first non-soundtrack solo release was 'Golden Heart' in 1996, and to me it's right up there with 2001's Sailing To Philadelphia'. The stand out songs are the title track, 'Golden Heart', and the closing tune, 'Are We In Trouble Now'. I think Randy Travis had a hit with his own version of that song.

Not many musicians make me want to play these days, but Mark is one that does. That rumbling vocal and his fat, warm guitar tone just make me want to pick up an instrument and join in. He has a call and response quality to his solos, and the chordal phrases that he does like at (2:48) just slay me. They really do.   

This one didn't want to embed, so just click the image and you will magically be transported.



My lovely neighbors at Thirty Tigers have been working this new Johnny Flynn record, 'Been Listening'. I first heard it downstairs at Grimey's and immediately headed up to swipe a copy.

It's always interesting to finally put a visual on the music. This isn't what I was necessarily picturing, but it all makes sense now. Such a great tune.



I think this video is a few years old now, but if you haven't seen it then take a moment. It's a great tune, but this video makes me laugh so hard. Bloody brilliant.



Okay, this did hit Deadspin today. Not a music video, but the music takes it to the next level.

No comments: