Tuesday, January 26, 2010

When in Rome, and the highway to the suck zone.




Jim Rome or George Plaster? uh, Jim Rome


For the first time in 5 years, I've changed the station on my radio. It's official, I'm boycotting Nashville's 104.5 the zone. Not that they care.

While there has been some major growth and improvement in the chemistry of the morning show in the last few years, the overall quality of 104.5's programming has become inconsistent. Hell, the major star of the morning show leaves an hour early, leaving an awkward 60 minutes of talk radio.

Don't get me wrong, there is talent in this market and on this station, but to me, they are stretched thin. One of the things I loved about the show was the inclusion of national programming, which was a nice balance to the local coverage. In particular, the early addition of the Jim Rome show to the daily schedule added an electric, diverse, and different take then what local programming could provide.

So, last year, when the station cut Jim Rome's live opening hour for a delayed broadcast of Dan Patrick, I was definitely disappointed. Regardless, I could see that the station was working to improve the quality of programming, so I stuck it out.

Then, last week, 104.5 announced that they would be pulling the Jim Rome show all together to make room for another local show - a 3 hour show. To make it worse, it was tough to hear that there was so much hate for the Jim Rome show, and I feel that in some way I should speak out in his defense.

Rome can indeed be a polarizing figure, but the truth is, he's created a brand and a niche that sets him apart and above other sports talk radio. While he does venture outside of sports, it's no different than Dan Patrick, in fact - it's a more precise and focused take. When he does talk sports, he's bold in his opinions and the first to admit when he's wrong. When it comes to interviews, he's by far the best. He asks thoughtful and relevant questions, as oppose to the hypothetical ramblings of his competitor, Dan Patrick.

Okay, enough of the make out session. It's okay if you don't get it, but damn 104.5, give your listener some diversity. And, I do listen to Dan Patrick, on Direct TV 101, in real time.

104.5, we need to spend some time apart. I need to see other people. It's not me, it's you. It's all you.

2 comments:

Russ said...

I hear ya. It took me a long time to warm up to the JR show... but I finally had to admit to myself that his particular brand of sarcastic humor does add something to the semi-boring world of sports talk. I would not call myself a 'clone' of Rome or anyone else, but I did enjoy the program, and I hate to see it gone. The worst part: I don't think Nashville has another station where Jim Rome would be a viable broadcast.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the comment, Russ. Yeah, it took my wife awhile too, but she's a lady clone now.

I can understand why folks don't get it, but I hate they don't see the good in the show. Like I said, the interviews are always conducted so well. There were so many good ones during Super Bowl week.

We do have good local sports crew. Willie, Mark, George, they all work hard. I liked having the variety though.

Thanks again,
B